Lately, I have noticed how misinformed people are about credit cards (anyone from interns to CEOs). If you choose (and use) a credit card correctly it can increase your credit score while also offer awesome & personalized perks.
Business vs. Personal Credit Cards
Let’s first start by describing the difference between business and personal cards. Contrary to common belief, you can use a personal card for your business. You should not, however, have one card that you use for both personal AND business expenses. This will complicate things when it comes to filing your taxes and your accountant will likely have homicidal nightmares.
Benefits of Personal Cards include the Credit C.A.R.D. Act of 2009 (Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure) that prevents credit card companies from increasing interest rates without notice, charging unwarranted fees, and allowing customers time to pay their monthly debt down. These benefits do not apply to business cards. Another perk is that personal cards have a lot of reward programs that allow you to pick one that will fit your business lifestyle best. This allows those who don’t want the standard business rewards to have more personalized options.
This being said, Business Cards also have their benefits. One of the biggest ones is that it is much simpler to distribute credit cards to employees. This will make a larger impact if you are growing into a larger company. Business cards are also known to have higher credit limits and in certain cases, you can tailor payment terms based on your business.
Now it’s time for my credit card recommendations. Just a warning, you will need good to excellent credit (depending on the card) to be approved for these cards.
Chase Ink Cash Business Credit Card is for those who would like cash back, gift cards and travel rewards. This works for those who want to take advantage of traditional small business purchases.
The benefits are as follows:
- Sign-up bonus: $300 in cash back if you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months.
- 5% cash back on office supplies, cell phones, landlines, internet, and cable TV up to the first $25,000 spent in combined purchases each year.
- 2% cash back at gas stations and restaurants up to $25,000 in combined purchases yearly.
- 1% on all other purchases with no limit.
- If you end up hitting the cap in the 5% and 2% categories you can earn cash back up to $1,750.
- You can set spending limits for employees and get extra cards for no additional charge.
- 0% APR for the first year then 13.24% variable going forward.
- Sign-up bonus: 20,000 miles, equivalent to $200, once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months.
- 1.5 miles per dollar spent on all purchases with no cap.
- Free employee cards that allow you to earn rewards from their purchases.
- 0% APR until mid-2016, then 12.9%-20.9% going forward.
I may get heat for recommending this card as the only personal card, but I think it offers amazing rewards and benefits. Hear me out.
Citi Prestige: This card is the definition of “You get what you pay for” and is an amazing card for the traveling professional. I can personally vouch for this card and can confidently say that I actually make a large amount of money off of it (I am not including the bonus offer). The fee is high ($450), but the benefits go above and beyond to pay this off.
These benefits include:
- Sign-up bonus: 50,000 Thank-You points after making $3,000 in purchases in the first 3 months. You can get a better offer when you go into a Citi branch that equates to 60,000 points (30,000 initially and 30,000 at year end).
- 3 points per dollar spent on airfare and hotels, 2 on dining and entertainment, and 1 for all else.
- You can redeem these points for 1.66x the points if you use them on American Airline flights or 1.3x on US Airways. You can also redeem them a variety of other things.
- A yearly $250 credit towards the purchase of a flight or inflight purchases (Other premiere cards only offer inflight credits).
- Global Entry for free ($100 value).
- Access to all Admiral Club & Priority Pass Lounges.
- Get your 4th hotel night free after using the card for the first three.
- 3 free rounds of golf at select courses around the world.
- Free 24/7 concierge service, and many more…
Trust me, this card well surpasses the AMEX Platinum and the Visa Black card.
Sign up for our E-mail list
You’ll get our newsletter containing additional information about how to better your Startup business in areas like Managment, Marketing, Finance, Funding, Time-Management, Leadership and more. We are here to help!